Thursday, January 3, 2013

2012: A Fantastic Year in Review

Happy New Year to you all! I hope you had an awesome Christmas and an even more awesome New Year's Eve.

In 2011, One Day in Paradise launched its much-welcomed new look website and in its About section, wrote at the bottom...


'Have you ever wished upon a star, and had that wish come true?'

...and sure enough, it did!

One Day in Paradise has had an incredible 2012; by far the most interesting out of its 4 years! Let's take a look and see why.

January & February

There's something in the water... what was it? Oh...


March


BABY, THE STARS SHINE BRIGHT agrees to give One Day in Paradise a trial run at Supanova Melbourne and Supanova Gold Coast, providing that ODIP can snap enough lolitas wearing BABY or Alice and the Pirates at the booths. I said I was up to the challenge and put out the call (and you nearly broke the Facebook page with your excitement)!


April 


The call is answered loud and clear, with One Day in Paradise exceeding BABY's expectations! BABY grants ODIP distributorship rights to its monthly collections. Are you in this collage? You rock! Thank you! (And special thanks to the girl who preplanned her cosplay ages in advance but still worked BABY socks into it.)


This is also the month that One Day in Paradise opens its new branch at Kanga Kanga in the Melbourne CBD. I have known Taka since I returned to Melbourne from Sydney in 2007, and we decided it would be a perfect launching spot for BABY items.

May

It's nose down and tail up, preparing for Supanova Sydney and Supanova Perth while simultaneously working full time.
June 

It's time for Supanova Sydney and Supanova Perth! Again, I was snapping lolitas to give BABY an idea of who is wearing what in which location! Are you here? BABY also gives ODIP access to sale items and lucky packs.

 The massive crowd awaiting entry to the trader's hall. 


The team for One Day in Paradise Supanova Sydney -  Elle-May (Visage 'n' Vice), Sharon, me and Alanah!


 Take a carrrrrd!


Photo courtesy of Rachel.

Bird's eye view of the crowd inside the Dome on Saturday.
 
the team in Perth: Me, Steph, Elle-May (VnV), Stephy (VnV) 



 July


Innocent World comes to the party, granting ODIP full distribution rights, including access to sale items and lucky packs and Australian lolitas take full advantage of this - its summer sale is a hit!

AVCon in Adelaide rolls around, and is the first convention at which new Innocent World has been sold in Australia.


August


Manifest's month! Melbourne's anime oriented convention. 
Left to right: Magdalen, Cming, and me. 
Wearing Unico in Bloomland again as if I have no other JSKs in my wardrobe.
Photo courtesy of Magdalen.



September 


One Day in Paradise and the Visage n Vice Boutique announce its new Adelaide location inside Adelaide Arcade, taking over the old space previously leased by Tokyo Hardcore.


October


Renovations take 2 weeks, and we open our new store on the 13th October. Attendees all loved the new changing area at the back so much that they spent most of the day there. I relocated from Melbourne to Adelaide temporarily. The two black x white photos of this unforgettable day are by the lovely Candice, who came from Sydney for the opening.






Photo bottom left, courtesy of Jaana.


November


ODIP and the VNV head to Brisbane and then to Adelaide for the last two Supanovas of the year! And I decide to move to Adelaide permanently. 

Below left: me, Sharon and Veronica, courtesy of Goldie Soetianto and the booth looking pretty unkawaii as the crowds decimated the booth. Below right: me with Christine at Supanova Adelaide. In Unico in Bloomland again, because I sold my Baby the Stars Shine Bright Snow Queen set a day after I wore it in Brisbane.  




 Darth Vader is waiting for his girlfriend to come out of ODIP. Photo courtesy of Alanah.


 I met Elvira! She was so glamourous. 


December 

One Day in Paradise bades farewell to its VNV Fitzroy location, making One Day in Paradise at Kanga Kanga in the CBD its only Melbourne base. 

ODIP also turned 4 on the 5th December, close to International Lolita Day! No annual party this year as things were a little too hectic. There is a 'Welcome to Kanga Kanga' one in the works!

I also signed up for an Instagram account in preparation for this blog. You're most welcome to follow me, and if you are of the lolita persuasion I will most likely follow you back. I'm just about to start uploading a lot of my lolita photos to it, so it's a work in progress.

In 2013, there's much more to come! Hopefully through this blog, you'll follow ODIP's journey to its 5th year in Australia.


What new things do you want to see ODIP do in 2013?

2 comments:

  1. EEEE so awesome! What a wonderful year!! Also thank you for have the ONLY picture of me in my first Lolita co-ord ^3^ Much love and luck to you mon ami!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking back on it, I now know why I was so tired... store AND job for 6 months of the year... let's hope this year is easier for me ^_^

      Delete