Thursday, January 17, 2013

Natural Hair Roundup 2012

In 2012, I made a conscious effort to use my own hair as opposed to a wig. Now, lolitas use wigs for many reasons, such as their haircut not being suitable for lolita, or their hair too fine, too thick, unhealthy, or simply just wanting an easy, polished do in any colour under the sun without too much effort - it takes enough effort to just dress, so wearing a wig may as well make the process a little easier.

I wear both sweet and classic, and both styles encourage the use of natural hair, or at least, natural looking hair. And I thought to myself that my hair is pretty healthy (virgin hair says my current hair stylist Lidija at Anton's) and a nice basic lolita style and colour, so why not incorporate that instead of hiding it?

I admit, I am pretty time poor, and particularly when I am running ODIP with a full time job I don't have much time for extras. I find it hard to schedule in a haircut most weeks, which was pretty important in my hairstyle to maintain as my fringe grows at the rate of knots. So when I had a meet on, I went to get my hair styled at the hairdresser's, thereby killing two birds with one stone. Let's take a look at some of the styles I tried in 2012.

Librarian's Expo, February 2012 & Supanova Melbourne 2012

Dead straight and librarian-like. Pretty easy, and how I usually wore my hair for conventions in 2012. No muss, no fuss and the emphasis is on the cut.  


Rococo Picnic, March 2012

I wore Mary Magdalene's Bertille Rose OP for this picnic, and since it was a large classic meet, I wanted a nice style to go with it. I picked a braided style, much like the Vm models. Unfortunately we were rained out that day,and the only photos I have of it are me looking drowned rat-like. My apologies, but you can get the gist of it below. The smart version can be found on Instagram as I have already uploaded it there.



Seeing my parents at my grandmother's house, June 2012



My parents live 4 hours out of Melbourne. I don't get to see them much, and they very rarely see me in lolita because of it so I thought I'd wear my Mary Magdalene Antoinette Fleur OP to see them. I tried a double bun style; what do you think of it? Too sweet? An interesting take on classic? I decided not to use it again for the upcoming Antoinette meet.

 Antoinette Meet, July 2012

This meet was dedicated to those who bought the Mary Magdalene Antoinette Fleur OP in the year's reserves. I thought an extravagant OP warranted an extravagant do... and so with two stylists armed with curling wands and 90 minutes later, my hair was a mass of ringlets. Cue attendees patting my head gently at Polly's and wondering if my hair is a wig. The talented Samantha Ee of reclog.wordpress.com took the first and third photos as well as originally arranging this collage.


The first two styles done by Nyssa from Xiang QV; the last style by another stylist at Xiang.

Milky Planet Photoshoot, Supanova Adelaide and the Melty Meet, November 2012

Buns again. Milky Planet was at Anton's and then my friend Christine kindly offered to do my buns for Supanova Adelaide and the Melty Meet. She has many talents!




Hope you got some ideas from my hairdresser adventures. Christine and I recently experimented using various implements and techniques to achieve different lolita hairstyles, so watch out for the next post on natural hair in lolita!

7 comments:

  1. I like the double bun but it kinda reminds me of Sailor Moon... and well... that kinda says it all doesn't it!!?? XD I like the elegant side bun as well! It's really sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't need a wig to look awesome in lolita!
    Your natural hair is beautiful and I love your style. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where did you get that last dress? That coordinate and your hair look so cute..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Chess Chocolate by Angelic Pretty! Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete